Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Summer 2010

Well here is it, the time of year that I usually dread. I have always known that I would not be a great SAHM. I am just not completely cut out for it. I need adult interaction, conversation and some alone time (even if my only alone time is sitting in traffic on 315 while there is construction).

The first few days of summer vacation were spent traveling to IL to see Justin's family for a few days. We had a great visit and had a great time swimming.

The first day at home together on Monday we met one of Miles' friends and his mom for a reptile show. It was a great show where the kids got to interact with the reptiles. Even G.G. got to hold the boa constrictor. The kids thought this was great! Even though the weather was really humid, we spent an hour at the park.

On Tuesday, we did a lot of work outside. We had a great day playing in the new tree house and keeping busy by helping mom. We were really dirty and gross, but still got in the van and got an ice cream cone for such good work. While I was putting Miles down for a nap, Sophia also fell asleep. At this point, I felt that if every day could be like this, I would not want to return to work.

By Wed. Sophia and I were really starting to struggle. It seems that we are very similar and are still working out the rules of the summer. She continues to struggle with her reading and I continued to push. I have made a few adjustments which will hopefully work to help her become a better reader. Finally, by the afternoon, we headed to the park, then for a quick dinner and getting a few more plants for the backyard. I am glad that the day ended on a good note. The only downfall is that Sophia fell right before bed. Luckily she landed on soft grass, but may have broken her pinky finger. We have come to learn that Sophia is not a good patient and overreacts to not feeling well. She began to freak out so we decided NOT to head to urgent care. Hopefully in the morning, we will realize that she is feeling better.

Despite originally dreading the summer, I am finding that I really love the summer. It is so not to not have a schedule of getting homework done in a short amount of time, making lunches, getting to school on time and getting to bed on time. We are really taking full advantage of no bedtime schedule. We make sure to get a lot of extra stuff done even late into the evening.

I hope that we continue to create great memories all summer long.

1 comment:

Sarah Dee said...

good luck! I have some empathy for you. I am nervous about the summer only working 1-2 part time days/week.