Tuesday, July 15, 2008

5 weeks and only 1/5 of the way there

The heart walk is quickly approaching and I am no where near my goal ($10,000). I am not even close to my goal last year ($3,000). I know my goal this year was lofty, and I felt like i started on a good foot by doing the pasta fundraiser last year before Christmas, but that only netted $300 towards the fundraiser. I question if i will get to my goal and i would hate to let Maria down, but i do feel that a lot of people are just not in to donating this year. With the change in the economy, i find people are very resistant to donate. I have learned a few things which will hopefully make my fundraiser better for next year:

1. Raffle- a good idea, but harder to implement than i thought. I have collected over $1,800 in prizes, but i am not having any luck to selling the tickets. Not sure how best to get the word out.
2. Personalize letters seem to help. I have taken my families address books hostage and written letters to each person in them. Next year, i will have my close friend give me their address books and mail letters to all of their family and friends.
3. I have a hard time asking people to help me raise money. It is a close fundraiser to my heart, but it is hard to explain that to others and for them to in turn be willing to help raise the money.
4. Start early. I thought that starting in October of 2007 would help for a fundraiser in August of 2008, but that has not worked yet.
5. Those that gave last year, have given this year. There are some tried and true donors that continue to give. I thank you, but next year i will probably be asking for more.
6. Try other fundraiser: if i can swing it, we will be doing a wine tasting this year and possibly an event at California Pizza Kitchen. Hey, S.D. do you know anyone that can play for free at the wine tasting, such as a violinist, harpist, acoustic guitar???
7. i need to ask people that I know, to ask people that they know to donate money. I need to figure out how to use my resources more wisely.

I am sure that i have learned more, but i cannot remember right now. My mind is swimming trying to get this all together. It is a good thing that i do not work full-time. I have always enjoyed volunteering, this is just a more organized form of volunteering. Happy donating!!
and thank you.

No comments: