Wednesday, March 19, 2008

High Fevers + Vomiting = Teething

Miles really enjoys putting us through our paces. I have learned that he will NEVER do anything in a small scale, only on a grandiose scale. Such as getting RSV while in the hospital for his open heart reconstruction requiring a month long stay in the ICU at children's hospital, or being admitted to the hospital for low oxygen sat after having ear tubes placed. I mean really, we have the only kid in OH that would be admitted after getting ear tubes!!!

At least we have figured this out early enough in life. I expect that if he ever breaks his arm or leg, it will be a comminuted spiral fracture requiring some type of surgical intervention or long term casting. But, I have prepared myself for this.

So back to doing things up big. When Miles is teething, he likes to spike really high temps (about 103) for a couple of days. (Normal for teething is 99-101). Not sleep, and vomit every morning. This morning was pretty impressive. He covered me, himself, both of his favorite blankets and the floor in master bedroom. Luckily, Justin was still home and could help us get cleaned up.

From our past experiences, we ride out the fevers for a few days, and it hope that he gets better soon. Finally we become so exhausted from vomit, lack of sleep, and constipation from the Tylenol that we go to the doctors and they cannot find anything wrong, "just viral, or teething"

I cannot wait for ALL his teeth to erupt fully. they are all out, but only part of the way, then hopefully this craziness of high fevers will be less!!

In other news, (it must be a full moon) Sophia's teacher had to do the hymlick maneuver on her yesterday at school because she was choking on breakfast. She is fine, but she has a tendency to take too many bites before swallowing.

This all gets better, right???

feel free to post your best/worst experiences with vomiting and such to help us feel better

2 comments:

Sarah Dee said...

When my mom's boss came to visit 'the new baby' (aka me) for the first time, I projectile vomitted 20 feet across the room. Right into his lap. :) Opps.

Unknown said...

When I was little, my Grandma taught me how to take dainty, little "party bites" when I eat. It stopped me from jamming food in my face, but to this day everyone gets mad at me for eating so slowly. :)